Thursday, April 20, 2006

What I think - Property Rights vs. RKBA

The latest cause that the NRA is championing seems to be what they consider the "right" to have a gun with you wherever you go, especially to work. Several states are introducing and have introduced legislation that would force employers to allow employees to keep weapons locked in their vehicles in the company parking lot.

A pretty good discussion on this topic was had at The War on Guns (in the comments), and here is my response to the latest:

Reason said...
Anonymous said... My being armed does nothing to violate your property rights. You're right, it doesn't. Well, it doesn't UNTIL you think your "right to be armed" means you can be armed anywhere you please, including in my house. On my property, I have the right to set the criteria for admittence. If I don't (and you or the government do?), how can I call it mine?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

IMPO, every individual should set the rules for his or her personal private property, including real estate, ones physical incarnation, et, et.

Which raises an interesting question on the regulation of your PERSONAL home and real estate: namely, how can you say YOU own it, when you only possess it IF you pay whatever fee the local taxing authorities decide to charge you?

My house is bought and paid for long ago, but if I don't pay the property taxes, the city and county will seize it, and me if I object. It's not mine and will NEVER be mine free and clear under this system.

April 20, 2006 8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This discussion has been going on a long time and has crossed the spectrum of many blogs.

I'm with you.

A business owner has the right to determine whom he will allow on his property and under what conditions just like I do with my home.

The problem is that the precedent has already been established that business owners DON'T have that right. Affirmative action, equal opportunity, equal access laws anyone?

By the way, good blog so far, I just blogrolled you.

April 20, 2006 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home