Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Kids and household guns

This article is all about how many kids allegedly have access to household guns despite parents that contend otherwise. I didn't find any information about who funded the "study" or where the actual results can be found, but there is this paragraph at the end:

Firearms account for about 10 percent of deaths among U.S. children aged 5 to 14, the study noted. For every gun-related death among children, three children are injured by guns. Household guns are responsible for many of these incidents.

I'm pretty sure that guns don't just go out and hunt down 5-14 year old kids, so I don't know how they can be "responsible for many of these incidents".

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is parents who rely on hiding or locking the guns and insisting that the kids "don't have access" that are the main part of the problem.

My brothers and I, both of my kids and now my grandkids did grow up or are now growing up around guns.

I don't own a gun lock. What good is a gun with a locked trigger? Do you actually think it's going to stop a criminal from making it operational after a theft? Do you actually think that kids can't find the keys, figure out the combination, jigger the damn thing open? Kids are smarter than many parents want to admit.

My technique was: teach them about guns, take the mystery out of it. If they wanted to handle them they did...all they had to do was recite the four basic rules first. When they wanted to shoot them they did...I was never averse to a little more range time. They knew where they were and how to use them. I didn't have to worry about them doing it behind my back because they didn't need to...all they had to do is ask.

Liberal responses to cultural issues:

Promiscuous sex: Education
Aids: Education
tolerance: Education
Drugs: Education
Smoking: Education
Alcohol: Education
Guns: HIDE THEM, LOCK THEM UP, DON'T EVER LET KIDS KNOW THEY EXIST LEST THEY BE POISONED AND TURNED INTO VICIOUS KILLERS.

And then wonder why bad things happen.

May 02, 2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger BobG said...

Have to agree with sailorcurt; that is how I was raised around them, and I never played with them or got them out around visitors.

May 03, 2006 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home