Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Get the word out!

I know this isn't a blockbuster blog, but those who read probably also read and maybe write blogs that are. Anyone who is an IL resident ought to be especially interested in this:

In Illinois, law-abiding citizens are prohibited from carrying a loaded firearm for self-defense. Every other state allows it to some extent, but Illinois politicians deny that basic human right to their constituents. We may lawfully carry, however, so long as the firearm is unloaded, enclosed in a case, and we hold a valid “firearm owner identification (FOID) card”. This allows us to be seconds away from safety, and is without a doubt the best way to lawfully stay safe in Illinois. Countless people throughout the state exercise this severely-infringed right to keep and bear arms.My name is Shaun Kranish, and I’m a law-abiding citizen as well as the founder of ICarry.org, a gun rights group in Illinois. I am one of the citizens that exercise the right to self-defense within the letter of the law. I used to “fanny-pack,” like so many others, and did so on a daily basis. This is the account of my wrongful arrest and false imprisonment.

On the evening of Friday, May 12th, 2006, I had been shopping with my girlfriend at a local mall. For about three and a half hours we strolled in and out of stores, picked out and purchased cards and gifts, and ate at the food court. While we were peacefully walking to the mall exit, we happened to pass by two security guards. They followed and stopped us and then questioned me about the buckled case I wore on my side. They wanted to know what I had inside of it, and I told them it was none of there business and I did not approve of being searched because my personal belongings were private. Despite my protest, the private guards told me to put my hands up and proceeded to forcibly and publicly search me without permission.

After unbuckling and opening my case, they discovered that I was carrying an unloaded gun as Illinois law clearly allows, then handcuffed and detained me on the spot. They called the local police as they drug me away to a mall “substation,” handcuffed, for everyone to see. As they did, I informed them that I was abiding by the law and implored them to read a copy of the statute along with extra information I carried with me at all times in order to assist and educate officers just in case a situation like this arose.

What happened next could only be described as the horror of being falsely arrested and charged for a crime that I did not commit. I spent two hours handcuffed to a bench in a tiny "holding room" at the mall as two or three security guards along with five or six police officers examined and discussed my letter, and eventually decided to deliberately ignore it and falsely charge me with Unlawful Use of a Weapon, a criminal offense under Illinois statute, in order to cover up and justify my false arrest and search. My girlfriend was harassed, man-handled, searched without cause, and questioned by the police while I was locked and isolated in the next room, unable to do a thing but listen helplessly and try to shout loud enough to be heard.

After some time, while I still remained handcuffed and confined and deprived of the ability to communicate with anyone, including my attorney, my girlfriend was allowed to leave. I was then carted away to the Winnebago County Jail for my first visit ever. There I was questioned endlessly and searched for the fifth time. The officers behind the glass, the transport officer filing out the transfer papers, and the officers behind me all knew that I wanted to post bond. I had already told them which debit card to use for the payment. This search with a metal detector and thorough search by hand of my body didn’t satisfy one of the officers though. He wanted to do a strip search, and no one else protested to protect me.

Warning: The next part can be considered graphically descriptive and contains quotations of what may be considered offensive language. Please use discretion especially if there are young people reading.

Click Here to continue with the full account (graphic) or Click Here for a version safe for all ages


I'll be supporting the cause by becoming a member.

1 Comments:

Blogger M1Thumb said...

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. I have to wonder why he'd let a couple of mall ninjas manhandle him like that. I suppose drawing down and capping them wouldn't help matters, but it seems to me that they had no authority to detain him unless he had shoplifted. I mean, can they detain him for other offenses? What if he was an illegal alien? Can they detain him for that? I'm running at the mouth here, but I don't remember anything that allows you to be a self-appointed LEO just because you're wearing a blue suit and a toy badge. I'm not one for lawsuits, but I hope he sues them into bankruptcy.

May 23, 2006 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home