Thursday, April 27, 2006

Guns let you make people do stuff

This article is so absurd that it might take a while to get to all the flaws. I guess I'd better get started.

The Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees the right of the people to bear arms, but it was written after the Revolutionary War when the British were still a threat to attack the newly independent nation. The purpose was for a militia to be kept ready in case the red coats came marching down the streets again. But we have that militia now, called the Army, the Navy and the Air force; I think they have us covered.
Wow. Thank you so much for the insight Mr. Historically Challenged. It floors me that he agrees that "the Constitution guarantees the right of the people to bear arms" but in the same breath dismisses it as irrelevant and outdated! Which is it? By the way, we had a professional Army during and after the Revolutionary War, and the militia is by definition separate from professional armed services (which include the National Guard).

Although I grew up in South Central LA where gang activity and violence are prevalent, and although I ran with a bad crowd and have been witness to gang shootings, I had never fired a gun.

Former gang banger? Loads of credibility.

And with that gun I felt like every gun totting renegade cop I've seen in my favorite movies. [...] Brandish a gun at someone and you can get him to do anything. That is the shear intimidation and power that a gun provides.

To this guy (Werner Gomez) a gun is just a way to boss people around. It's a tool, but a tool for taking freedom, not giving it.

Mr. Gomez, the Second Amendment exists to guard my right to protect myself from people like you.

Keep and Bear Arms put me on to this article. They're a good news source.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home