Thursday, April 20, 2006

What I think - "Gun Free Zones"

The "gun free" zones I'm talking about are the ones created by state and federal legislatures. They often include:
  • Schools
  • Churches (or "places of worship")
  • Parks (including national forests)
  • Sporting events or concerts
  • Alcohol-serving establishments
  • Post Offices
  • Courts and other government offices.

You'll notice that many of the prohibited locations are private property. Here the government is dictating terms to property owners. "It's for your own protection". Thank you very much, but I know how obligated you feel to "protect me".

Any time you create a "gun free" zone, you create a ripe-for-the-picking population for criminals.

When it comes down to it, the government doesn't have any business making the rules for my property for me, and even if they did - it wouldn't help keep someone who's already planning a criminal act from doing so.

3 Comments:

Blogger t3rrible said...

I am in complete agreement. Gun free zones should be called rob me here zones. I break the law fairly often in this regard. I figure I would rather be alive to explain to the officer why I was armed at a particular establishment then have him explaining to my familiy why I will not be coming home, ever.

My .02

April 20, 2006 1:07 PM  
Blogger David Codrea said...

You wabt "others"?

How about National Forests. Talk about a clear violation of "shall not be infringed" from the national government--the very folks who have no Constitutional say in the matter.

Hey, you can always wear bear bells and carry pepper spray...:)

Welcome to blogging! Thank you for the link--I have reciprocated.

April 20, 2006 6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget Post Offices.

They do have a reputation...

April 20, 2006 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home